Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools
UCPS kindergarteners to register next week
Parents of kindergarten-age children may register their child at the elementary school located in their attendance area from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. from Feb. 11 until Feb. 15, 2013.
Eligible children must have reached their fifth birthday on or before Aug. 31 of the year of entrance in order to enroll in a public kindergarten in North Carolina.
According to the North Carolina state law, all children entering kindergarten must present documented evidence of having received immunizations and physical examinations before attending school.
In addition, a complete physical examination must be done no more than 12 months prior to the date of entering school. The exam must be recorded on the blue “Kindergarten Health Assessment Form” available on the UCPS website, (click on forms).
Parents should bring to the school copies of their child’s birth certificate, social security card, immunization record, two proofs of residence, and the Kindergarten Health Assessment Form.
Immunizations needed are as follows:
1. DTaP/DT vaccine - five doses (if the fourth dose was given on or after their fourth birthday, the fifth dose is not required)
2. Polio IPV vaccine - four doses (if the third dose was given on or after the fourth birthday, the fourth dose is not required)
3. MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) - two doses (first dose on or after their first birthday; second dose before school entry)
4. Hepatitis B vaccine - three doses (third does must be after child is 6 months old)
5. HIB - at least one dose on/after 15 months of age (not required after 5 years of age)
6. Varicella (Chicken Pox) - one dose (required for children born on or after April 1, 2001). Second dose highly recommended before school entry).
For more information, call the school in the attendance area of the child in question.
For more information about enrollment, visit the UCPS web site.
For UCPS enrollment forms, go to the Forms Page on the web site.
Written by: Deb Coates Bledsoe, UCPS Communications Coordinator
Posted: Feb 06, 2013 by Deb Coates Bledsoe