Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools
Dr. Lori Cauthen is honored by the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Charlotte
What Is Down Syndrome?
Down syndrome occurs when an individual has a full or partial extra copy of chromosome 21. This section explains the science behind Down syndrome, how it is diagnosed, its history and social impact.
One in every 691 babies in the the United States is born with Down syndrome, making Down syndrome the most common genetic condition. Approximately 400,000 Americans have Down syndrome and about 6,000 babies with Down syndrome are born in the United States each year.
It was named after John Langdon Down, an English physician, who published an accurate description of a person with Down syndrome. It was this scholarly work, published in 1866, that earned Down the recognition as the “father” of the syndrome. Although other people had previously recognized the characteristics of the syndrome, it was Down who described the condition as a distinct and separate entity.
• Down Syndrome Association of Greater Charlotte www.dsa-gc.org
• Down Syndrome Guild of Greater Kansas City www.kcdsg.org -newsletters & eblasts
• National Down Syndrome Society www.ndss.org
• National Down Syndrome Congress www.ndsccenter.org
• Down Syndrome Education International www.dseinternational.org
• The ARC of Union County http://www.thearcisthere.org
• 2 teach (Wendy Murawski) http://www.2teachllc.com - co-teaching
• Patti McVay (google her)– Down syndrome and inclusive practices
People First Language
• www.disabilityisnatural.com - people 1st language, inclusive practices, etc…
IDEA 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)
• The Wright’s Law website is a fantastic place to get information on just about ever topic and answers to any question you may have about special education. www.wrightslaw.com
Down syndrome awareness – videos/links
• Just Like You www.justlikeyou-downsyndrome.org - a fantastic video to show classrooms about Down syndrome.
• Don’t limit me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOwDfnoek6E A powerful message to teachers from Megan who has Down syndrome.
• Tim Harris, owner of the restaurant, “Tim’s Place” www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6He0FWoFj0
• Christian Royal, potter www.christianroyalpottery.com. His website has a great video about Christian and making his pottery, as well as seeing his pottery for purchase.
• Allie Guard – art & jewelry www.allieartdesigns.com
• Andrew – Group Hug Apparel www.grouphugapparel.com
The “R” word
• Take the pledge to stop using the “R” word at www.r-word.org
Prenatal/Postnatal diagnosis for Down syndrome
• Be Not Afraid – benotafraid.net
• First Call program (pre & postnatal diagnosis) – Down syndrome Association of Greater Charlotte www.dsa-gc.org
• Down Syndrome Association of Great Cincinnati – adoption registry http://www.dsagc.com
FREE seminars on a variety of special education topics
The Rankin Institute (at the Fletcher School) www.thefletcherschool.org/rankin-institute/
Written by: CoRetta Limous
Posted: Sep 30, 2013 by CoRetta Limous