Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools
Theatre Program Earns Spot in State Competition
Every year the Honors Theatre III and IV students participate in the North Carolina Theatre Conference. This conference is held during October and November where students compete against other high schools from around North Carolina in a one-act play competition. At this fall's regionals at Rocky River High School, Porter Ridge was one of two schools chosen to compete at the State level.
At this festival every school has 45 minutes to start with an empty stage, cross the starting line, present the play, and then cross a finish line. There is a stage manager that has a stop watch to make sure students do not go over the time limit. The stage manager asks the school if they are ready and then time begins. This year Porter Ridge took two shows "I Never Saw Another Butterfly," and "Phoebe."
During this competition, Porter Ridge students received these honors:
- Excellence in Playwriting for “Phoebe”-Rachel R. Carroll
- Excellence in Lighting for Porter Ridge High School- Erika Irizarry
- Excellence in Acting- Female for “Phoebe” and “I Never Saw Another Butterfly”: Delaney Veurink
- Excellence in Directing for “I Never Saw Another Butterfly”: Claire Ave’Lallemant
- Excellence in Production for Drama Historian: Nicole Fox
- Outstanding Ensemble Acting for “I Never Saw Another Butterfly”- Porter Ridge High School Honor’s Theatre
- Distinguished Play- Superior Rating- “I Never Saw Another Butterfly”
To see the play moving forward in state competition, the PRHS Theatre department will be presenting "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" at 7:00pm on Thursday evening. They are asking for a $5 donation to support the Theatre Program.
Congratulations to Mrs. Briggs, theatre director, and members of the cast and crew!
Written by: Jessica Briggs, Theatre Director (Edited by April Dawkins)
Posted: Nov 12, 2013 by April Dawkins