Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools
Transportation Department Cautions Motorists and Parents at Bus Stops
School Bus Safety Tips for Students
School Bus safety rules are most often highlighted in August before the school year begins. It is extremely important, however, to remind ourselves of some bus stop safety tips. The Transportation Department will instruct all bus drivers to review bus stop procedures with all of the students currently riding buses.
This information is as follows:
Be Safe at Your Bus STOP!
Stand at your assigned stop (10 minutes early)
Turn left and right. Look both ways before crossing.
Observe the stop sign and flashing red lights.
Proceed only when all cars have stopped.
We ask the parents and the motoring public pay careful attention to the following important safety tips:
Information to the public:
When you meet a school bus you should-
- Slow down
- Prepare to stop when you see yellow flashing lights on the bus.
- All traffic must stop when the red lights are flashing and stop arm is displayed. (Does not apply to traffic on the opposite side of a divided highway.)
Information to parents-
- Supervise children at the bus stop.
- Turn left and right. Look both ways before allowing children to cross.
- Observe the stop sign and flashing red lights.
- Allow children to proceed only when all cars have stopped.
Written by: Don Mace
Posted: May 11, 2010 by Don Mace