ucps logo

Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools

Search by Keyword

“Grandfathering” Options Within Redistricting

What is Grandfathering?

It is an option that allows a student who has been reassigned to remain in his/her current school until the student completes the highest grade level in that school.

For example, a current 4th grade student may apply for grandfathering and stay at his/her current elementary school until the completion of 5th grade. The student will then be promoted to the middle school assigned to the address where he/she is domiciled.

Who is eligible to for Grandfathering?

The following students are eligible to apply for grandfathering for the 2014-2015 school year:

  • Current 4th Graders (5th Graders in 2014-2015)
  • Current 7th Graders (8th Graders in 2014-2015)
  • Current 9th Graders (10th Graders in 2014-2015)
  • Current 10th Graders (11th Graders in 2014-2015)
  • Current 11th Graders (12th Graders in 2014-2015)
  • Current 12th Graders (if needed)

If I have student who will be eligible for grandfathering, can a sibling also be allowed to grandfather?

No. Unless the sibling is in one of the grade levels listed above, grandfathering is not an option.

If I have a grandfathered student, will transportation be provided?

No. Transportation will not be provided to any grandfathered student attending a school outside of his/her attendance area. Transportation to/from school will be the responsibility of the student and/or family.

When will eligible students have the opportunity to apply for grandfathering?

Once databases of affected students are established, the school system will send 2014-2015 assignment letters and grandfathering forms, if applicable. This process will take several weeks.

Parents will have the opportunity to complete the grandfathering application and return to the appropriate contact in Union County Public Schools Central Services. Directions will be provided in the letter/application.

If my child is not eligible to be grandfathered, may I request a transfer back to the school my child currently attends?

Parents who wish to apply to transfer their child from their assigned school to a school outside the assigned attendance area may complete a Student Transfer Request.
Student Transfer Request Forms are available at all UCPS school offices and on the UCPS website here.

Forms should be delivered, faxed or mailed using the information provided in the bottom right corner of the form. The request should include a statement citing reason(s) for the requested transfer.

What is the deadline for Student Transfer Request Forms to be submitted?

There is not a deadline for submitting the Student Transfer Request form. It may be submitted at any time. The Office of Support Services handles the transfer requests.

If my child is attending an overflow school because the school our home is assigned to is capped, will he/she be allowed to return to the assigned school next year?

Current enrollment caps will be lifted with the implementation of the new reassignment plan. Students who are currently attending an overflow school because of the cap will be assigned to the appropriate school based on the address where he/she is domiciled.

Will a child who is grandfathered be eligible to participate in athletics?


Note: These questions and answers have also been placed in the Redistricting FAQs available here.


Written by: Rob Jackson
Posted: Mar 06, 2014 by Rob Jackson

Back to list of stories for Union County Public Schools