Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools
SPLASH offers an exciting opportunity for rising kindergarten students at WDES!
SPLASH (Language Immersion Program) offers an exciting opportunity for rising kindergarten students to reach high levels of academic achievement! Weddington Elementary School will offer SPLASH (the Foreign Language Immersion Program) to rising kindergarten students next school year (2014-2015)!
For rising kindergarten parents who are considering enrolling their child in Weddington’s Language Immersion program may have questions or concerns!
What is SPLASH (Language Immersion Program) and how does it work?
- Recognizing the importance of global students and the need to teach skills to prepare for a global economy, the SPLASH Language Immersion program provides an immersion model for English-speaking students and a bilingual model for Spanish-speaking students. It is an “additive bilingual” program, meaning that all students learn in both languages.
The regular school curriculum is taught in the immersion language for at least half of the school day.
Why should I consider enrolling my child in SPLASH (Language Immersion Program)?
- Immersion programs are the fastest growing and most effective type of foreign language program. Most immersion students can be expected to reach higher levels of second language proficiency than students in other school-based language programs (Met, 1998).
Will my child become proficient in the second language? How long will that take?
- After only 2 or 3 years in an immersion program, students demonstrate fluency and confidence when using the immersion language.
During the course of SPLASH lessons the children will have the opportunity to get out of the classroom and have lessons outside. They will have different games and activities that will be done primarily in Spanish and will be done in a fun and interesting way in order to keep them interested and learning.
The language program will have specially designed educational material and lessons that are used to introduce grammar, and vocabulary as well as the structure of the language.
SPLASH is a very comprehensive Spanish immersion opportunity. It offers families the opportunity to expose their children to the Spanish language at a young age. As most language experts will tell you, it is much easier to teach a child another language at a young age.
The emphasis is on the youngest students because of the ease with which other dual-immersion programs use variations of that formula – with some starting in kindergarten with a 50-50 split of English and a second language.
Students truly learn from one another, developing high levels of confidence and self-esteem through their study of two languages. Learning comes alive as the beauty of both languages is explored through literature and song.
The goals for the students are to:
- Develop fluency and literacy in two languages: Spanish and English.
- Achieve proficiency in all academic subjects, meeting or exceeding State and district guidelines.
- Cultivate an understanding and appreciation of other cultures, and develop positive attitudes toward fellow students, their families and their community.
Initially all students learn to read and write in Spanish. English literacy skills are added as students’ progress through the grade levels.
For more information, please visit these sites:
Written by: Stacie Davis
Posted: May 13, 2014 by Stacie Davis