Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools
Rocky River Staff Synergizes
All hands were on deck today as the 2014-2015 school year came under way. Teachers supplied with bulletin board decorations, classroom supplies, and lesson plans arrived as early as 7am to get started on their classrooms. Many teachers remained in their same classrooms but some had to move to accommodate changes in grade levels. Ms. Morrison and Mr. Haas were quick to move her classroom from one end of the building to the other so she can get ready for her 3rd grade students.
Classroom teachers arranged furniture, got classroom libraries ready for students to read and put out math manipulatives. Small groups of teachers were meeting to find out about curriculum, the discipline policies and all new staff had the opportunity to learn about our Leader in Me program. It is based on Stephen and Sean Covey’s 7 Habits. We want students to be leaders and in charge of their own learning. If you want to know more about The Leader in Me program please visit, the website and click on the “PARENTS” tab at the top of the page.
The first three habits focus on skills and attributes of independence, the next habits focus on skills and attributes of interdependence. The 7th habit centers on continuous improvement and maintaining balance in life:
• Habit 1- Be Proactive- Self-confidence, initiative, responsibility
• Habit 2- Begin with the End in Mind—goal setting, planning
• Habit 3- Put First Things First- Time management, organization
• Habit 4- Think Win-Win- Respect, relationship building, conflict management, manners, ethics
• Habit 5- Seek First to Understand, Then Be Understood- presentation skills, listening, empathy
• Habit 6- Synergize- problem solving, teamwork, valuing differences
• Habit 7- Sharpen the Saw (body, mind, brain, and soul), Care for body and hygiene, desire to learn, technical skills, pursuit of meaningful work, fun, emotional stability
As you visit the school you will notice the 7 habits mentioned throughout all areas of the school. Murals and signs reinforce the schools commitment for staff, students and parents to learn and use these throughout their life. Teachers set up areas in their classrooms with the 7 habits. Many teachers were also seen making culture corners for our globalization focus. Office staff was busy enrolling new students and finalizing class assignments while others gathered curriculum together for meetings later this week.
The Rocky River Staff is excited to be back at school preparing for the arrival of students on Monday, August 25th and for the Open House Friday, August 22, 2014 from 3 to 6 p.m. Welcome to an exciting year at Rocky River!
Written by: Brenda Todd and Heather Shulman
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 by Heather Shulman