Archived Stories for Union County Public Schools
Jump Rope for Heart!!
Our school will once again participate in the Jump Rope for Heart fundraiser to benefit the American Heart Association, whose main mission is to build healthier lives free of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
As a community service project, Kensington students who choose to participate and collect donations will help make a difference in the lives of kids who were born with hearts that do not work exactly right.
Jump Rope For Heart Helps Students Grow!
• Kids learn the value of community service and become empowered to contribute to their community's welfare.
• Children join together in helping other kids with special hearts.
• Students learn how to develop heart-healthy habits while being physically active
• Participants learn jump rope skills they can use for the rest of their lives.
• Students help your school earn gift certificates for free P.E. equipment!
In PE class, we will focus on learning to be “heart healthy” and how to take charge of our health. As our PE motto this year states- “your health is your wealth”! It is important for students to learn that being healthy is something you must work to achieve and maintain.
The Jump Rope for Heart fundraiser will kick-off November 10th and run through December 1st. At the conclusion of the fundraiser, we will celebrate with a “jump-off” that includes various jump rope activities and competitions.
Last year, the Kensington Knights raised over $3,000! We hope to raise the same amount this year.
For more information, visit http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/General/For-Parents-Jump-Rope-For-Heart_UCM_312492_Article.jsp
For tips on how to encourage healthy habits at home-
Healthy Habits http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/HealthierKids/HowtoMakeaHealthyHome/How-to-Make-a-Healthy-Home_UCM_304154_SubHomePage.jsp
Life’s Simple 7 http://mylifecheck.heart.org/Multitab.aspx?NavID=3&CultureCode=en-US
Written by: Krista Schardt, PE teacher
Posted: Oct 21, 2014 by Rachel Clarke